Monday, June 18, 2012

It's Time to Get Sweet... with Stevia!


There are so many options for sweeteners today: honey, raw honey, agave, Stevia, sugar, Truvia. My personal favorite is Stevia, and if I can find it, Stevia in the Raw


Stevia is a natural sweetener that comes from the leaves of the Stevia plant, which is native to South America. Stevia has zero calories, zero carbs, zero glycemic index, and it is 100% natural!! 


Splenda and other sugar substitutes, like aspartame, can have harmful side effects on the body, and I highly recommend you stay away from them.
 
Stevia comes in a variety of forms; you can buy liquid stevia, stevia tabs, and stevia packets. Liquid stevia comes in a various flavors such as English Toffee and Chocolate Raspberry. My personal favorite is Vanilla Crème. I use stevia to sweeten cold and hot beverages, and I love adding Vanilla Crème liquid stevia to smoothies and various dessert recipes. I even stir a little into my Greek yogurt when I want a sweeter taste.
 

Stevia is starting to show up in restaurants. I have noticed it at Urth Caffe, but they tend to run out really quickly. You can purchase stevia at your local market. Stevia is sweeter than sugar, so a little goes a long way. Some people complain that they do not like the aftertaste, but I personally do not taste it. Also, using stevia makes me feel like I am eating mindfully and consciously, which always makes me feel good. If you are watching your calories or sugar intake, stevia is a great choice!

Check out some recipes (here) that I found on the In The Raw website!
Now go out there and make something sweet!

Until next time
-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment