Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Emily’s Healthy Vegetable Soup



It’s chilly outside and I was craving some vegetable soup, so I decided to come up with my own recipe. My Mom gave me some tips and I took it from there. I hope you enjoy this recipe for vegetable soup with your loved ones as I do!
 
Wash & Chop your vegetables. You can use whatever vegetables you like. I like carrots, kale, broccoli, celery, onions, garlic and zucchini. Use what is in season, looks fresh, and buy organic whenever possible.


Start by sauteing your onions and garlic in a pot on the stove at a low heat. Add your carrots and celery once onions and garlic are reasonably cooked; after about 5-10 minutes. Also add about ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
 

Next, add your remaining chicken broth and 1 cup of water followed by the chopped kale and broccoli. Now all of your vegetables (or at least mine on this day) are in the pot cooking. Keep at a low heat.
 

Add pepper and herbs of your choice. I like adding thyme. Sometimes I will add a herb blend. This is a very healthy soup and can be bland if you do not add the herbs. Add your favorite herbs, taste the soup, and if you need to add more, do so! Cover the soup with a lid and allow to cook on a low to medium heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

 
Taste the soup occasionally to make sure you are not over or under cooking it. Cooking really is EASY! Remember that once you turn the heat off, the soup will continue to cook a little in the pot.

 
 
Make this soup when you have an afternoon to relax and enjoy the cooking process. Enjoy the aroma of your kitchen.   
 

Happy Cooking!!  And Healthy Days!!
-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment